Each design we create is unique to the client, and the result of many hours of getting to know the client’s needs, finding design solutions to maximize the functionality of the space, researching the best product for the design, and lastly editing the final design.
But every design follows the same layered process to create magnificent results. Tran + Thomas shares with you our steps to the perfect design. Over the next few months we lift back the curtain and give you a sneak peek how we use these layers:
- Inspiration – the birth of a design, inspiration can come from a photo, a color, a piece of fabric, artwork, evening a favorite movie
- Space planning — understanding room functionality and flow, and how best to layout a room using both positive and negative space
- Architecture – the shell of the room, including the ceiling, floor, walls, doorways, windows and all architectural elements including fireplaces, built-ins and trim
- Lighting – both natural and electric, carefully layered lighting is the subtle detail that changes a room from “off” to amazing
- Wall and window treatments – how color and texture act as the backdrop of a design
- Largest furniture piece and rugs – these are the elements that define the spirit of the room, and includes the fabrics and finishes that will dictate the overall design
- Accent furniture – the smaller pieces including side tables, lamps, pillows, secondary seating areas; these are what give the design a sense of completion
- Artwork and plants – the life blood of the space, artwork and plants turn a nice design in to a sublime design
- Accessories – your personality in the design, accessories can be personal or simply add dimension and detail to the room
First Layer: Inspiration
Sometimes the hardest part about a design is getting started. At Tran + Thomas, we begin with an inspiration that is sparked by the client. Some clients come to us with specific inspirations; others we discover along with the client.
Inspiration can come from anywhere, be it a photograph, a color, a favorite vacation spot, a piece of art, a movie, or simply a feeling.
This design was inspired, by all things, the client’s love of Star Wars. The linear fabrics evoke the shapes of fighter ships, the furniture lines mimic the low diagonal architecture of the ships and the sleek minimal lighting is a nod to the intergalactic vessel surfaces that lack color and texture. And yet, this home is soft, warm and inviting.
Lifetime collections can also be the inspiration for design. This client’s amazing collection of antique clocks, as well as family photographs, provided the perfect jumping off point in this great room. Not only were the built-ins the ideal spot to showcase her collection, but the antique metals of the clocks are carried throughout the room, as are the warm, handsome colors. Even the delicate arms of the grand chandelier are a subtle nod to elegant hands of the clocks.
About Tran + Thomas
Built on the foundation of a 30-year, family-owned Interior Design business, Jill Tran and Carmen Thomas opened Tran + Thomas Design Studio in 2011 bringing a combined 36 years of experience to their projects. They work on both residential and commercial projects across several styles. Interested in their services? Call (913) 268-9595 or schedule a consultation below.
Personal Thanksgiving Table Tips – Our Designers Set Their Own Uniquely Special Tables For Thanksgiving!