Every autumn, we roll up our sleeves and clean our chandeliers. Much like placing your diamonds in jewelry cleaner, cleaning your chandelier will add some sparkle to your home.
We tackle this project in the fall to begin getting our house ready for holiday entertaining. When the weather turns cold, we spend more time indoors, and it’s nice to have something beautiful to look at while we’re sipping hot chocolate.
Bringing your chandeliers back to life can seem like an impossible task, but trust me it’s actually very simple. Channel your inner Martha Stewart and use our 10 proven steps.
- Start by turning off the power and putting a piece of tape over the switch(es). This will prevent them from being turned on accidentally.
- Lay a large plastic sheet or multiple trash bags down to protect and cover any furnishings or rugs below.
- On top of the plastic, place newspapers or old towels to absorb the liquids.
- Remove the light bulbs and cover the bulb area with foil to keep the cleaners out.
- Get a degreasing cleaner. Yes, you read that correctly – a degreaser. We like Mrs. Meyers. Steam from boiling water, scented candles or hair spray attract and hold dirt and dust.
- Get a ladder or chair. It’s time to work your forearm muscles. Sleeveless cocktail dresses here you come.
- Spray the cleaner down onto the chandelier until the entire surface is wet. Be sure to cover every inch by working methodically and turning the fixture as you go.
- Let it stand about 15 minutes. Have a cookie or drink some wine and then, spray it again.
- Let it stand another 15 minutes.
- Grab a spray bottle and fill it with 75 percent rubbing alcohol and 25 percent water. Spray and “rinse” your chandelier until it shines! This final coat of cleaner will leave it sparkling and gorgeous.
Now, all that’s left to do is let it drip dry and maybe wipe down some of the larger crystals, arms, etc. with a dust-free cloth. You may want to have your sunglasses nearby, because your room is about to seriously sparkle!
About Tran + Thomas
Built on the foundation of a 30-year, family-owned Interior Design business, Jill Tran and Carmen Thomas opened Tran + Thomas Design Studio in 2011 bringing a combined 36 years of experience to their projects. They work on both residential and commercial projects across several styles. Interested in their services? Call (913) 268-9595 or schedule a consultation below.