It’s the time of year to judge some of Kansas City’s newest homes for Kansas City Home and Garden magazine’s 2013 Home of the Year awards.
- • Unusual and unexpected design solutions that work beautifully
- • Smooth, flowing layouts while each room has it’s own personality
- • Special details (especially those that work for the land or homeowner specifically)
- • Quality of materials and craftsmanship
- • Green design
- • Thinking outside of the box (instead of a “me too” design) that ultimately adds value to the property and/or the lives of those that will live there
- • Location
- • The overall feel and look of the space. Not only must the home’s design work, it must be outstanding.
- • Did the architect waste space or leave any small, funny areas the homeowners won’t know what to do with?
- • Were the niches, built-ins and/or lighting intended to be centered but didn’t quite make it?
- • Is the interior cabinet hardware going to last or did the builder cut a corner where no one would look?
- • What about window placement? Vent placement?
- • Does the entry have a “WOW” feel?
- • Does the exterior complement the land and interior?
- • How would someone live in the space and make it their own?
- • Were the designers innovative while respecting the style of the structure?
- • Were their solutions unique, without going into Oddville?
- • Is the selling price appropriate?
About Tran + Thomas
Built on the foundation of a 30-year, family-owned Interior Design business, Jill Tran and Carmen Thomas opened Tran + Thomas Design Studio in 2011 bringing a combined 36 years of experience to their projects. They work on both residential and commercial projects across several styles. Interested in their services? Call (913) 268-9595 or schedule a consultation below.
Help Kansas City Homeless Teens Break the Cycle; Avenue Youth House Designed and Supported by Tran + Thomas